The ICMAB in the Top 10 of the ERC research grants in Catalunya
Counting all the ERC projects, since its very beginning, in 2007, Catalunya represents the 3.2 % of all the ERC grants awarded within the European Resarch Area (ERA), and gathers 52 % of the ERC grants in Spain. The ICMAB is within the Top 10 institutions in Catalunya, with a total of 10 ERC projects in total.
The global success rate on ERC projects at the EU is 16 %. This varies according to the type of grant: 11 % for Starting Grants, 13 % for Consolidator Grants, 13 % for Advanced Grants, 36 % for Proof-of-Concepts grants and 2 % for Synergy Grants.
ERC in Catalunya
Catalunya occupies the 4th position in the ERA countries in terms of ERC projects per million of inhabitants. The ERC grants obtained by researchers who develop their projects in Catalan institutions represent, overall, 3.2% of the ERA since 2007. By type of ERC project, the Proof of Concept grants with 7.3 % and the Consolidator Grants, with 3.6 %, of the ERA, stand out and are above the ERA average (the Catalan population represents 1.5 % the ERA).
Although most of the ERC projects in Catalunya are in Physical Sciences and Engineering (PE), the projects in the field of Social Sciences and Humanities (SH) with a 31 %, are above the Eurpean average (21 % SH).
Catalan women-led projects are considerably low at Advanced Grants (12 %), and are higher for Starting Grants (20 %) and even higher for Consolidator Grants (29 %). However, Catalunya, with 20 % of the projects led by women, stands below the European average, which is 23% (Gender Statistics 2007-2016, December 2016).
The projects funded by the ERC initiative are high risk projects, but also involve great advantages and have a real impact on society.The bibliometric analysis of the scientific publications generated by the projects concludes that 3/4 of the projects evaluated become scientific advances (Qualitative Evaluation of Completed Projects funded by the European Research Council, 2016).
ERC Ranking in Catalunya
In Catalunya, 16 institutions concentrate the 83 % of the ERC projects in Catalunya, with a minimum of 6 ERC projects. They are:
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra - UPF:40
- Institut de Ciències Fotòniques - ICFO: 32
- Universitat de Barcelona - UB: 26
- Centre de Regulació Genòmica - CRG: 25
- Universitat Autònoma de Barceona - UAB: 23
- Institut Català d'Investigació Química - ICIQ: 17
- Institut de Recerca Biomèdica - IRB: 15
- Institut de Bioenginyeria de Catalunya - IBEC: 13
- Centre de Recerca en Economia Internacional - CREI: 11
- Institut de Ciència de Materials de Barceona - ICMAB-CSIC: 10
- Centre Internacional de Mètodes Numèrics en Enginyeria - CIMNE: 10
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center - BSC: 8
- Universitt Politècnica de Catalunya - UPC: 7
- Universitat de Girona - UdG: 7
- Vall d'Hebron Institut d'Oncologia - VHIO: 7
- Institut Català de Nanociència i Nanotecnologia - ICN2: 6
There are 41 Catalan entities with a minimum of 1 ERC project.
ERC at ICMAB
As observed, the ICMAB-CSIC occupies the 10th position, with 10 ERC grants. The last one awarded was the ERC Consolidator Grant to Martí Gich. Information about the other grants can be read here. The granted researchers are:
- ERC Advanced Grant: Teresa Puig
- ERC Consolidator Grants: Mariano Campoy-Quiles, Gerard Tobias, Núria Aliaga-Alcalde, Massimiliano Stengel, Martí Gich
- ERC Starting Grants: Agustín Mihi, Marta Mas-Torrent, Alexandre Ponrouch
- ERC Proof-of-Concept Grant: Marta Mas-Torrent