The 10alamenos9 Nanoscience Festival arrives at Campus UAB
Eight highschool centers of 1r BTX students came this year to the 10alamenos9 Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Festival organized by the UAB, ICN2, ICMAB and IMB-CNM, with the collaboration of ICE.
This year the 10alamenos9 Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Festival took place on 25 April 2023, during a whole morning of activities. The program started with a first visit to the research centers for science activities (at UAB, ICN2, ICMAB and IMB-CNM) from 9 to 10 AM.
From ICMAB, Judith Oró and Anna Crespi prepared some activities related with the Transmission Electron Microscopy and the X-Ray Diffraction characterization techniques to discover and characterize some properties of the materials. They even did iridescence chocolate to explain diffraction patterns and bubbles to explain thin films.
Students visiting the TEM at ICMAB | ICMAB, CSIC
We had at ICMAB, in this first visit, 25 students from 1r BTX of the Institut Joaquima Pla i Farreras, from Sant Cugat del Vallès.
Then, the 8 highschool students gathered at the UAB Seminar Hall from 10:30 AM to 12 PM for a roundtable session with young nanoscientists who are now starting their research career after having studied nanoscience. The idea was that the 5 young nanoscientists presented themselves and their work, and then the highschool students could ask some questions.
Roundtable with nanoscience and nanotechnology young researchers at the UAB | ICMAB, CSIC
The 5 students were:
- Lluís Casabona, who is studying the Master in Nanoscience at the UAB and is doing his Master Thesis at ICMAB at the NANOPTO group
- Catalina Coll Benejam, who is a postdoc researcher at ICN2
- Raü Ramos, who is a PhD researcher at IMB-CNM
- Sara Míguez, who is a PhD researcher at UAB and ICN2
- Carlos Rubio, who is working at IREC
Lluís Casabona giving his presentation about his research at ICMAB | ICMAB, CSIC
After this session, another visit to the research centers was programmed from 12 to 1 PM. In this second round we had 25 students from 1r BTX of the Insitut Icària from Barcelona.
Students at the X-ray Diffraction Lab at ICMAB | ICMAB, CSIC
Thank you to the ICE for the collaboration and contacts with the highschools, and thank you to the other research centers (ICN2 and IMB) and university (UAB) for the co-organization of the festival, one more year and to the ICMAB staff involved for all their help!
Past years of 10alamenos9 at the UAB:
- More than 600 students at the 2021 #10alamenos9 Festival from the UAB Campus (2021)
- 22 April 2021: 10alamenos9 Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Festival from UAB Campus (2021)
- The 10alamenos9 Festival arrives to its 4th edition with more than 200 students at the UAB Campus and CosmoCaixa (2019)
- Campus UAB, 11 APR 2019: The 10alamenos9 Festival arrives to its 4th edition! (2019)
- Success and great participation at the 10alamenos9 2018 Festival! Thank you all! (2018)
- Campus UAB, 10 APR 2018: The 10alamenos9 Festival arrives to its 3rd edition! (2018)
- More than 15 research institutes and universities participated at the 10alamenos9 Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Festival with more than 100 activities (2017)
- Aquesta setmana arrenca el Festival de Nanociència i Nanotecnologia 10alamenos9, amb la participació de l'ICMAB (2017)