The PhD Thesis was in the framework of the Materials Science PhD Programme of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), and the PhD Committee was formed by Amilcar Labarta, UB, Barcelona (President), José Santiso, ICN2 (Secretary) and Adrián Carretero, CNRS- Montpellier, France (Vocal).
Read here more about Hailin Wang's PhD Thesis and his recommendations for future PhD candidates:
- Why did you choose the ICMAB for your PhD?
A friend recommended ICMAB to me, and the PhD project was interesting.
- How would you explain your research to a non-scientific audience?
My research is about the preparation of epitaxial functional oxide thin films by aqueous chemical solution deposition method.
- What are the main applications of your research? Could you give us an example?
The polymer assisted deposition method can produce high-quality oxide thin films, for example, the ferromagnetic insulating La2NiMnO6 films is a promising material for magnetic random-access memory.
- From the lessons learnt here, which one do you value the most?
The good cooperation with people, and good arrangement with work.
- What will you miss the most from ICMAB?
All the friends here, especially the members in SUMAN and ACNM groups.
- How do you think this experience will contribute to your training and to your future?
The experience is very important for my training and my future.
- What are your plans once you finish your PhD?
I plan to continue the academic work in a university or an institute in a city of China, near my hometown.
- What do you wish you had known at the beginning of your PhD, that now you can recommend to the ones who are starting?
Maintain a steady work-life balance, make a plan for everything, and the most important: carry out your plans as soon as possible.
- Why did you become a scientist? Which have been your role models?
I watched a lot of science fiction movies when I was young, and I was very interested in science. My role model could be Michael Faraday.
- Which is your favourite female scientist?
- Describe in 3 keywords…
* Your research: Useful, promising, difficult
* Barcelona: Sunshine, beach, beautiful
* Your experience at ICMAB: Fantastic, busy, pleasant
Hailin Wang (center) with supervisors Benjamín Martínez (left) and Narcís Mestres (right).
Hailin Wang will defend his PhD Thesis on 15 December 2020 at 11 am